st: Correctly specifying dependent variable

From   Radha Shah <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Correctly specifying dependent variable
Date   Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:04:06 +0000

Dear Statalist users,

I am having an issue when trying to specify my dependent variable correctly in Stata. I am using Stata 13 for Windows.

I am very sorry if this question seems trivial to most, however I am only a Stata beginner so would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

My dependent variable has both an i and j index (it is: funds from donor i to recipient country j). When I import my data into Stata from Microsoft Excel it appears as the following:

Country		| Red Cross	   CARE	   ....  	Oxfam
Angola		|       0		   10000		              0

Cameroon	|  30000                 0                       10000

Zimbabwe	|        0		    15000                       0

Stata automatically takes the first row as headings for variables, and thus I have a separate variable for "country", and a separate variable for "Red Cross", "Care", "Oxfam" etc. Instead, I want the dependent variable to encompass both the i and j index such that my dependent variable observation for Red Cross funds in Angola is 0 and the same dependent variable also picks up that CARE funds in Cameroon are 10000. For reference, I intend to run a random effects Tobit model using the data.

I am sure there is a very easy way to do this on Stata, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please also let me know if my question is in any way unclear.

Many thanks,

Radha

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.