st: RE: which F-test do I report from xtivreg first stage

Subject   st: RE: which F-test do I report from xtivreg first stage
Date   Fri, 6 Dec 2013 23:21:17 +0000

David,

That's not the right one - it tests the joint significance of all the regressors, whereas you want the F that is a test of just the excluded instruments.

>  Below the first stage
> model, though, is the F-test of excluded instruments, also called the Angrist-
> Pischke multivariate F test of excluded instruments.

These are two different Fs unless you have a single endogenous regressor, in which case they coincide.  Sounds like they coincide in your case.

>  I'm thinking it's the latter
> that I should be reporting.  Am I right?

Yes, that's the one.

--Mark

> Diego

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.