Re: st: how to create a dummy with information across rows

From   Matt Vivier <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to create a dummy with information across rows
Date   Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:53:11 -0500

Hi Ana,

I imagine someone on this list has a more graceful solution, but this
should work:
--Sample Data-- (saved as data.dta)
household roster_line age relationship mother_line
1               1             35     head
1               2             15     daughter
1               3             10     daughter     1
1               4             1      grandson     2
2               1             45     head
2               2             25     daughter
2               3             25     son
2               4             25     daughter
2               5             17     son
3               1             40     head
3               2             19     daughter
3               3             18     daughter
3               4             2      grandson     2
3               5             3      granddaughter 3

use data, clear
qui sum roster_line
local max = r(max)
keep household roster_line mother_line
reshape wide mother_line, i(household) j(roster_line)
sort household
save wide, replace
use data
sort household
merge m:1 household using wide
gen teen_mom = 0
forv m = 1/`max'{
replace teen_mom =
cond(inrange(age,13,19),max(teen_mom,cond(roster_line==mother_line`m',1,0)),0)
}

Two things to look out for:
1. This uses a very strict definition of "teen mom" that you may want to change
2. If you have very large households this could get very wide, but
that seems unlikely

Best of Luck,

Matt Vivier
Data Analyst
(203) 541-4665
Remedy Partners, Inc

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM, ana mylena aguilar <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello
> I have a datatset with information by households ( rows) and
> individual household members in the columns.Household size can go all
> the way until 25. Therefore, the format for x number of variables is
> for example age1..age25.I reshaped the dataset to have household
> members within each household in each row as below. However, I need to
> contruct a variable that require using infomation across rows.
> hh roster line age     rel with hh head            child's mother line
> (only <14 years old)
> 1     1              35       household head
> missing
> 1     2              15        daughter                                  missing
> 1     3              10        daughter                                  1
> 1     4               1         grandson                                 2
> I need to create a dummy variable to identify a teen mother in the
> household. In this case, there is one (line 2). The household is
> formed by a mother, two daughters ( age 15 and 10) and a grandson. The
> older daughter has a 1 year old child. Every child under 14 has
> information on who is his/her biological mother ( roster line of the
> mother). But I would like to link the information of the chidl with
> the young mother.   Do I need to re-reshape or a loop would work?
>
> Any help would be great, thanks

The information contained in this transmission and any attachments may be
confidential, proprietary  or privileged, and may be subject to protection
under applicable law. This transmission is intended for the sole use of the
individual or  entity to whom it is addressed. If you think you have
received this transmission in error, please alert
[email protected] and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.