RE: st: Is this the right code if I want to compare group 1 vs group 4 in a logistic regression model?

From   "Meems, LMG" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Is this the right code if I want to compare group 1 vs group 4 in a logistic regression model?
Date   Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:54:10 +0000

Hi Alfonso,

Thank your for the answer. I'm sorry my question has been that confusing, I'll try to explain it once again.

What I want to know (and I thought the logistic regression model suited the best to get this answer) is how belonging to a certain group (let's say low vs high) results in effects on age and sex (just 2 examples. In my model I have plenty of other variables which I also want to test).
For example, if people in the lower group are significantly at a different age and sex than people in the higher group.

Btw, I'm not familiar with ordered logit. What is it exactly?

Best,

Laura Meems

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Namens Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver
Verzonden: woensdag 4 december 2013 15:36
Aan: [email protected]
Onderwerp: Re: st: Is this the right code if I want to compare group 1 vs group 4 in a logistic regression model?

Hi Laura,

You mention you break up a continuous variable into four categories and then use a logit regression. I believe in this case ordered logit would be more appropriate, since the categories follow the natural order of the continuous variable.

Having said that I am a bit confused about your main question. You say "I want to compare the lowest group (0) with the highest group (3) and the effects on age and sex". I thought the groups were the response variable, because the logit model would allow you to calculate effects on belonging to a group or another. Did you mean you want to know what the difference in the effects that age and sex would have on the probability of belonging to the lowest group and the probability of belonging to the highest group? If so, or something similar, you can use margins after the ordered logit regression to estimate the effects on the probabilities of belonging to each of the groups of any variable of interest and then take the difference for the groups you want.

Sorry if I misunderstood your message, please let me know if my interpretation is what you were after.

Best,

Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver