Re: st: SV: Combining string and numeric variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SV: Combining string and numeric variables
Date   Wed, 4 Dec 2013 12:08:47 +0000

To get a composite variable, this is, in spirit, what is recommended
in Stata Tip 52, which I mentioned earlier. The syntax would be more
like

egen Country_Region = group(Country Region), label

as -group()- is an -egen- function.

Something like

reshape wide var, i(Country Region)

or

reshape wide var, i(Country_Region)

wouldn't work without a -j()- option.

On 4 December 2013 11:29, Christian Trolle <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it possible to do it like this
>
> gen Country_Region = group(Country Region), label
>
> and then use reshape wide var (i) (Country Region)

Miguel A. Duran

I have a panel data set in long form. This panel data set has two
variables to identify observations, one for country (eg, UK) and one
for region (eg, 11 or M0). I have to transform the dataset into wide
form.