Re: st: Confusion about collinearity

Subject   Re: st: Confusion about collinearity
Date   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 05:11:44 -0500

Kevin Yarbrough <[email protected]> :

No doubt there are other coding errors, and you seem to want an eitc
variable in all years, coded 0 or 1 depending on whether a state has
an EITC that year. So your variable should be eitc, not eitc00, and
you need long data.

But there is a substantive problem as well: you are regressing log
wage income on a dummy for EITC, but states have different EITC values
and larger EITC benefits tend to draw more people into the labor
market, i.e. you are observing different select groups of labor market
participants in different years.  You could include people who have
zero wage income using a -glm- with log link instead; see

http://blog.stata.com/2011/08/22/use-poisson-rather-than-regress-tell-a-friend/
--referring to
http://www.stata.com/meeting/boston10/boston10_nichols.pdf

but you probably should not model only conditional mean income, as a
regression does, since the distribution of wage income will change,
not just shift upward.

Note that increased labor force participation due to the credit will
tend to depress pretax wages of otherwise comparable workers but
increase post-tax wage income of recipients.  See also:

http://ideas.repec.org/a/aea/aecrev/v95y2005i2p88-93.html
http://ideas.repec.org/a/aea/aejpol/v2y2010i1p177-208.html