Re: st: transfer installed ados from one computer to another

Subject   Re: st: transfer installed ados from one computer to another
Date   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:48:55 -0500

Paolo, yes and no. You can transfer the whole ado folder. But if your
other computer is e.g. a different platform, your ado files may no
longer be working. On the other hand the packages online might have
been updated/modified and you might want to continue using your older
downloaded versions. Ideally a package must be supplied also as a
separate deployment, easily trackable. I have written a tool for that,
see slide 19 here:

http://www.stata.com/meeting/dcconf09/dc09_lokshin.ppt

and an example of such a deployment is here:
http://www.adeptanalytics.org/radyakin/stata/usespss/radyakin_usespss.htm

but of course no solution is perfect. E.g. the deployment becomes
platform-specific. And in newer Statas you have to press the run
button at some point (I recall it was fully automatic at the time of
Stata 9, but it could have been particular configurations of computers
I dealt with).

It seems that a file-by-file approach is best. You have to decide for
yourself whether it is safe to download fresh versions of every
package you are using or not from their current sources. If yes,
that's the best option.

Best, Sergiy