RE: st: Testparm Command in Logistic Regression Analysis

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Testparm Command in Logistic Regression Analysis
Date   Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:58:23 +0000

Thank you as well for your comments, they were very useful for me!

Isabel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver
Sent: Mittwoch, 27. November 2013 15:07
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Testparm Command in Logistic Regression Analysis

The problem with having different number of observations is that in the one with more observations is that you are imposing also restrictions to have one model to fit the estimates to more observations, so when you need the likelihood from both specifications you don't know what the effect is oh the test statistic: the reduced coefficients or the additional observations. Also if the model with all the coefficients is the one with the more observations, then it is no longer clear which is the restricted and which is the unrestricted one.

So what to do? It is unclear which specification has the smaller number of observations, but -testparm- will test on the number of observations of the model with all the coefficients and -lrtest- with dropped observations on the smaller number of observations. If the difference in the number of observations is not large and you have a large sample, the two tests should be fine. In small samples it is not clear that testing in the reduced sample is a good idea, but you may not be left with a viable alternative.

I hope this helps,

Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver