st: creating new dataset from means of variables by groups

From   Paolo Moncagatta <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: creating new dataset from means of variables by groups
Date   Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:39:56 +0100

Hello everyone, I am stuck with a problem and thought maybe someone
could help me out. This might be a simple issue but I have looked in
the help, in the statalist, in books, and I still haven't found a
clear solution. I will try to be as clear as possible in the
formulation of my problem:

I have a dataset which contains the following variables: id, country,
importance value_1, evaluation value_1, importance value_2, evaluation
value_2...importance value_n, evaluation value_n, where the
"importance" and the "evaluations" are measured from 0-10 and which
looks like this:

id   country     import     evaluat    import     evaluat    import     evaluat
                     value1      value1    value2      value2
value3      value3
1        1             0              3           0             2
      3            3
2        1             2             10          2             4
     6            6
3        2            10            10          4             3
    8            8
4        2             7              8          7             2
     2            2

What I want to do is create a new dataset where the values become the
cases, and the variables are the mean importance per country and mean
evaluation per country, something like this:

value     country1     country1     country2     country2
            mean_imp   mean_eval  mean_imp   mean_eval
1                1               6.5              8.5              9
2                1                3                5.5             2.5
3              4.5              4.5               5                5

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paolo Moncagatta
Universitat Pompeu Fabra - Barcelona