Re: st: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models

Subject   Re: st: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:59:46 -0500

Pooja Desai <[email protected]>:

There is no guarantee that adding structure with a hurdle model or a
zero inflation component will improve your predictions, and you might
consider starting with -poisson- or -glm- with log link, which require
fewer assumptions for consistent estimation:

http://blog.stata.com/2011/08/22/use-poisson-rather-than-regress-tell-a-friend/
http://www.stata.com/meeting/boston10/boston10_nichols.pdf

Note in particular that a large number of zeros is *not* sufficient to
justify using a hurdle model or a zero-inflated model, since
predictors may generate exactly this distribution of outcomes, with a
preponderance of very low predicted values (that round to zero).  A
better reason to move to a 2-part model is a theoretical argument that
different predictors matter in different processes.