Re: st: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:15:50 -0500

Dear Pooja,

The nature of your data suggests that two processes are involved:
whether a patient was hospitalized and, given that the patient was
hospitalized, the number of days in hospital (I assume that the length
of stay is a positive integer number of days).  Thus, a hurdle model
seems a reasonable starting point, especially since 90% of patients
are not hospitalized.

Among the patients who were hospitalized (taking covariates into
account), do the data suggest that the distribution of length of stay
is a mixture?  If so, you should try to identify the components and
model them.  In what follows, I assume a single component.

The logistic model will give you a predicted probability of being
hospitalized (for each patient).  The model for length of stay (among
hospitalized patients) will give you each patient's expected length of
stay (if hospitalized).  Then the unconditional predicted length of
stay for the patient is

[1 - Prob(hospitalized)] x 0 + Prob(hospitalized) x (predicted length
of stay, given hospitalized).

If appropriate, you can average this predicted length of stay over the
patients in your sample.  Or you could average over a hypothetical
population of interest.  Or you could calculate predicted values for
individual patients with "interesting" combinations of
characteristics.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David Hoaglin