Re: Re: st: interpreting marginal effects of fractional logit with continuous independent variables

From   "Sandra Virgo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: interpreting marginal effects of fractional logit with continuous independent variables
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:28:04 +0000

Hi, Sandra.

Would you please explain why you are unable to use an ordinary logit
model?  The proportions seem to be the usual sort of "counted
fractions" (as opposed to the continuous fractions in a fractional
logit model).  If you have the numerator and denominator of your
proportions, a binomial GLM should be appropriate, so perhaps you have
only the proportions and not the numerators and denominators.

Also, what are the individual observations?  How many do you have, and
how were the data collected?

David Hoaglin

****
Hello David - thanks for your response.

I'm using fractional logit because for various reasons the raw data are confidential, so I have been given them in proportion form but have no more information.

I have around 8500 individual observations, and they are data for electoral wards. Apart from the DV the data are in the public domain and were collected via the Census and other administrative sources.

Sandra