Re: st: Transformation of variable with pos/neg values via asinh

Subject   Re: st: Transformation of variable with pos/neg values via asinh
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:11:54 -0500

Steven Delbright <[email protected]>:

It can't actually be normally distributed if it has fatter tails or
unexpectedly extreme values. You might also try cube roots, or fifth
roots, or 7th roots, etc. I have found income and wealth is often
easier to deal with after taking an odd root.

But it's usually better not to transform an outcome variable and then
regress, instead of using a regression with an appropriate link. In
any case, there is no problem with a bimodal outcome variable,
especially if you have a bimodal regressor that predicts it well!