st: R: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:34:11 +0100

Pooja may want to take a look at the following article published on Stata
Journal:

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0040

Best regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Pooja Desai
Inviato: lunedì 18 novembre 2013 10:21
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: Hurdle models vs. zero inflated models

Hello All,

I have a variable which represents the length of stay in the hospital for
patients. 90% of the patients were not hospitalized so they have a
0 length of stay. I was considering using either a zero-inflated negative
binomial regression or a hurdle model (logit and zero truncated negative
binomial) for this variable. Since all the zeros on the length of stay come
from one source?the patients not having a hospitalization, I thought a
hurdle model would be a better option (there are no sampling zeros). Is that
an appropriate choice?

If so, I need to find the predicted length of stay from the model. Is there
a way to get the predicted value after accounting for both the logistic and
zero truncated negative binomial models?

Thanks in advance.

Pooja Desai
Health Outcomes and Pharmacy Practice
The University of Texas at Austin