st: how to graph predicted probabilities with prgen

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
Subject   st: how to graph predicted probabilities with prgen
Date   Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:59:00 +0000

Dear all,
I use Stata 12 and I am analysing the effect of income on overtime work using the following model:

logit above40hrs age agesq uni income incsq

I want to see how the predicted probabilities of working more than 40 hours a week depend on individual income using prgen:

I tried the following:
prgen income, from(100) to(1100) generate(prab40jf12) x(age=30
agesq=900 uni=1)  ci

I got the following output:

logit: Predicted values as income varies from 100 to 1100.

          age      agesq        uni    income     incsq
x=         30        900          1  380.12523   184506.9

It is immediately obvious that the value displayed for incsq (income squared) is much more than 380*380, so I am worried that when Stata estimates its predictions it uses incorrect values for incsq (Indeed when I use prvalues to make individual predictions and set the values of income and incsq manually I get somewhat different predictions). How would I use prgen in such a case? I know that it is more typical to use logged income, but I am trying to test a hypothesis that low income and high income men work particularly long hours with everyone else working less.

I will be very grateful for advice,
Sincerely yours,
Katya