Re: st: Longitudinal analysis - help!

From   K Jensen <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Longitudinal analysis - help!
Date   Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:48:09 +0000

Thanks for your very helpful reply, Nick.

The data are human blood measurements. We are monitoring lithium (X),
which needs to be maintained at therapeutic levels in the blood for
patients with certain diagnoses. Lithium levels could have an effect
on renal function (Y). The lithium is monitored regularly, with extra
measurements made if a person has high levels, to check that they have
gone back to normal after intervention. Renal function is measured at
less frequent intervals and not repeated if it is out of range. A
blood test is likely to be lithium only, or both lithium and renal
function, but not renal function only.

We are interested in the effects of lithium "highs". A "high" will
last only for a few days, but its effect on the kidneys could last up
to a year.  Just how high is high enough to cause damage?  What about
several highs in the same patient? Those are the sorts of questions we
are interested in answering.

Thankyou again

Karin