Re: st: duplicated datetime variable differs from original datetime variable it was derived from

Subject   Re: st: duplicated datetime variable differs from original datetime variable it was derived from
Date   Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:12:40 -0500

Milena, you have shown us your syntax
gen time1=time

Contrary to your expectation you are not creating a duplicate
variable. You are creating a new variable of type FLOAT which would
hold the result of the computation, which happens to be just value of
another variable. Whatever that variable is, byte or double, Stata
would compute the result and store into a float, and in your case
loose precision.

To create a proper duplicate, use -clonevar-.

To confirm the types of the variables, use -describe-.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin