Re: st: Multilevel modelling: convergence, value of the log odds ratio, and dummy variable issues.

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multilevel modelling: convergence, value of the log odds ratio, and dummy variable issues.
Date   Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:54:07 +0100

It is very hard (impossible) for us to answer that question. Basically
we would need access to the data and the exact .do-file to look at
what might be the cause of that. The fact that you estimated your
models step-by-step does not guarantee that you can estimate your
model. In fact, it will do exactly nothing to help in that sense. It
does help you pin-down where the problem might be. So if you could
estimate your model with only the main effects, but the model with
interactions won't converge, then the problem is with the
interactions. Try not to estimate all interactions at once, but add
them one at the time. Now you can try to pin-point which interaction
is the problem. Now, you can look at lots of cross tabulations, and
see if you understand why there is a problem with that interaction.
Once you figured that out, you can make an informed decision on what
to do next. As you can see, it is impossible for us to do that and
diagnose the problem remotely.

A log odds ratio of 27 for an indicator (dummy) variable is extremely
high, 27 for the odds ratio is possible depending on the exact
circumstances. The reason why you get such numbers critically depends
on your data and model, so again it is not possible for use to
diagnose that problem over the internet.

With Stata 11 I would tend to use factor variables for the categorical
variables and their interactions rather than create the indicator
variables yourself.

-- Maarten (not Marteen)