Re: st: Routine from do-file that every time it's run gives a different result

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Routine from do-file that every time it's run gives a different result
Date   Thu, 7 Nov 2013 17:03:47 +0000

-xtile- is undoubtedly problematic -- as it reduces the information in
your data and isn't guaranteed to produce  equal-sized groups even
when the number of observations is an exact multiple of the number of
groups. But one of its rules is that observations with the same value
always go into the same group. And -xtile- is written -sortpreserve-
so it doesn't change the sort order of your data.