Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression

From   Stuart Buck <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression
Date   Wed, 6 Nov 2013 14:17:37 -0600

My understanding:

If we estimate this:

y=b1*YrsSchl + b2*Male

then b1 tells us the average effect of years of school across both
males and females.

If we instead estimate this:

y = b1*YrsSchl + b2*Male + b3*YrsSchl*Male

then b1 tells us the effect of years of school for females, b2 tells
us the effect of being male vs. female, and b1 + b3 tells us the
effect of years of school for males (i.e., the b1 effect for females
plus b3, which is the additional impact of years of school, in either
direction, for males).

--
Stuart Buck
http://about.me/stuartbuck