Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression

From   David Muller <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression
Date   Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:38:22 +0100

I may be misunderstanding or mischaracterising David Hoaglin's
problems with the term "holding constant" for describing adjustment
for covariates in multiple regression, so forgive me for interjecting
if I am off the mark.

I think the main issue is that the data used to fit the model won't
necessarily support a difference/change in one variable with all other
variables held constant. This is trivially the case when, for
instance, both x and x^2 are used as predictors. When data are sparse
or continuous it is also unlikely that there will be observations that
differ on one variable but are _identical_ on all others.

Personally, I don't think this is a big deal. If one sees regression
coefficients as differences in conditional expectations, then the
"held constant" interpretation is just a model-based interpolation or
extrapolation. It's up to the person fitting and interpreting the
model to justify any such extrapolation.

All the best,
David Muller