Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression
Date   Wed, 6 Nov 2013 12:37:12 -0500

Jorge,

Thanks for that link.  Harring's remark that the proportion of
variance accounted for by the overlap can be negative indicates that
the "shared variance" is an artificial construct.  If the "shared
variance" were real, it would be possible to give a definition for it
and then estimate it.  If one had a negative shared variance and chose
to express in linear units by taking its square root, the result would
be an imaginary number --- perhaps a fitting outcome.

One could, I suppose, define some measure of shared variance by using
the principal components for the predictors, but that would not
necessarily be complementary to the unique contributions of the
individual predictors (which, themselves, are not complementary).

David Hoaglin