Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression
Date   Wed, 06 Nov 2013 10:43:54 -0500

Hi,

I have not been paying any particular attention to this thread but the
most recent contribution caught my eye

Sam writes, "In other cases, however, the held constant interpretation
seems completely reasonable (e.g., E(Y)=b1*YrsSchl+b2*Sex)"

this confuses me: the effect of sex is the same regardless of whether
YrsSchl changes or does not change (and also for YrsSchol regardless of
whether the value of Sex changes) so how can the "held constant
interpretation" be reasonable?

Maybe you only typed a shorthand of what you meant but, as worded, I do
not agree with you.

Rich