Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Relative Importance of predictors in regression
Date   Tue, 5 Nov 2013 12:26:15 -0500

Dear Sam,

It would help communication if you explained, as specifically as
possible, what sort of "mathematical expression" you are looking for.

The material in my previous message that you reject as a "mathematical
manipulation" needs only one further step, involving straightforward
algebra: In the result of regressing the Y-residuals on the
X2-residuals, multiply out the right-hand side, rearrange the equation
to leave only Y on the left-hand side, and compare the result term by
term against the original model.  Since the adjustments for the
contributions of the other predictors are shown explicitly, the
interpretation of b2 is clear.  Please explain how you would interpret
the demonstration differently.

The fact that regression coefficients are a type of slope does not
provide any basis for the "held constant" interpretation.  I do not
see the connection between a regression model and your analogy of the
position of two people on a hill.  Please explain further.

When you said that I "retain one mis-interpretation of the regression
model that is extremely elementary and easily corrected," I assume you
are referring to the distinction that you make between "change" and
"difference."  I explained earlier that I would use words appropriate
to the particular context and application, so I am not making any
mis-interpretation.

I remind you that you have not offered any mathematical expression for
the "held constant" interpretation.

Regards,

David Hoaglin