st: -svyset- parameters for survey with multiple waves

From   ksgksg <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -svyset- parameters for survey with multiple waves
Date   Mon, 4 Nov 2013 13:40:17 +0200

Hi,
I am working with a Gallup survey conducted across 20 countries ("wp5"
is the country identification variable ), each country was sampled in
7 independent waves, that is respondents in each wave are different.
The survey has around 1000 respondents per country per wave. Each
respondent is assigned two weights, 1) "wgt" is a within sample weight
that adds up to the 1000 per wave. 2) "projwt" which is the weight for
the respondent within the country and adds up to the eligible
population sample for each country in each wave. My objective is to
identify certain cross-country effects over the time of the different
waves.

I am new to analyzing surveys, so I need guidance in correctly
declaring the survey design for Stata using -svyset-. Specifically:

a) I am not sure which variable to use as PSU and strata given that
the data only provides weights but not PSUs. The survey says that it
was conducted by first selecting the PSUs within each country to be
statistically representative. The survey manual says the design was
based on 3 stages of selection: 1) PSUs consist of clusters of
households which were stratified by population size. 2) random routes
used to select households within each PSU. 3) Respondents selected
randomly within each household (there is a variable "wp12" identifying
the number of potential eligible respondents per households ).

b) How can I capture the fact that the survey has multiple waves per
each country in -svyset- so that the population estimate is not (7 *
the sum of population across countries) but rather the true
population.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance and time.
Best,

Mohamad Mahmoud