st: (too?) Low within R-sq in FE and clustered errors.

From   "Anat (Manes) Tchetchik" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: (too?) Low within R-sq in FE and clustered errors.
Date   Sun, 3 Nov 2013 01:06:34 +0200

Dear Statalist members,

I ran a FE regression whose relevant to my question results are: .
Fixed-effects (within) regression               Number of obs      =    438
Group variable: country_code                    Number of groups   =        35

R-sq:  within  = 0.0796                         Obs per group: min =         6
       between = 0.4188                                        avg =      12.5
       overall = 0.4087                                        max =        16

                                                F(6,34)            =      5.31
corr(u_i, Xb)  = 0.0601                         Prob > F           =    0.0006

I  have 2 quick questions:
(1) I'm a bit concerned that the "within R-sq" is pretty low.
Does it mean that I gain no benefit from using a panel structure?

(2)  I used clustered errors, but having read "Clustered Errors in Stata" (
A. Nichols and M. Schaffer) I'm not sure whether my 35 groups and
pretty unbalanced panel, justify using such errors.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated!
Best,
Anat Tchetchik, PhD
Department of Business Administration
Guilford Glazer Faculty of Business and Management
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O.Box: 653
Beer-Sheva, Israel, 84105

E-mail:       [email protected]