Re: st: forvalues foreach or while loop for sequential variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: forvalues foreach or while loop for sequential variables
Date   Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:12:42 +0000

(Revised version of previous)

This picks up the syntax Robbie was missing, namely

`=exp'

for some expression exp, but it won't work entirely as desired.
Suppose -hospital7- -hospital8- -hospital9- are all 42. Then
-hospital8- is changed to missing because it is the same as
-hospital7-, but next time around the loop -hospital9- of 42 is
compared with missing and nothing is changed.

Roberto pointed out this problem too.

The following should be an improvement for a solution without -reshape-.

clear
 input obs hosp14  hosp15 hosp16
 1   1      5    5
 2   6      9    6
 3   8      1    3
 4   5      5    5
 5   2      2    2
 6   2      9    1
 7   1      1    1
 8   3      1    7
 9   3      0    4
 end

gen previous = hosp14
gen temp = .

qui forval j = 15/16 {
       replace temp = hosp`j'
       replace hosp`j' = . if hosp`j' == previous
       replace previous = temp
}

drop previous temp

That said,

1. The non-missing values left will not be guaranteed unique or
distinct. Hospitals 6, 9, 6 visited in that order will be left as is
and 6 will occur twice.

2. Throwing away information is always risky. Why do you want to do this?

3. As these are in essence panel data, Roberto's implication that in
many ways you are better off with a long data structure (I don't like
the word "format" here) is worth pondering.

> Nick
> [email protected]
>

> On 31 October 2013 07:32, A Loumiotis <[email protected]> wrote:
>> another way without defining a new local would be:
>>
>> replace hosp`num'=. if hosp`num'==hosp`=`num'-1'
>>
>> Antonis
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Roberto Ferrer <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Elaborating a bit more, according to your example, you intend
>>> something along the lines of:
>>>
>>> *-------- begin code ---------
>>> clear
>>> set more off
>>>
>>> input obs hosp14  hosp15 hosp16
>>> 1   1      5    5
>>> 2   6      9    6
>>> 3   8      1    3
>>> 4   5      5    5
>>> 5   2      2    2
>>> 6   2      9    1
>>> 7   1      1    1
>>> 8   3      1    7
>>> 9   3      0    4
>>> end
>>>
>>> list
>>>
>>> * You have this in a loop
>>> replace hosp15 = . if hosp15 == hosp14
>>> list
>>> *--------- end code ----------
>>>
>>> but this compares only contiguos hospitals (14 with 15 and 15 with 16) but not
>>> hospitals that are "further apart" (14 with 16). This is the case with
>>> observation 2 in the example data I created. Your loop misses this comparison,
>>> which I assume is important, i.e., you want hosp16 to equal .
>>> for that observation because hosp14 already takes the value of 6. If
>>> the assumption
>>> is true, this is very problematic.
>>>
>>> That said, now take a look at what your variables are evaluating to
>>> inside the loop
>>> (use -display- for this):
>>>
>>> *-------- begin code ---------
>>> clear