Re: st: Stata 13.1

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 13.1
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:44:09 -0500

Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver <[email protected]> and
Dimitriy Masterov <[email protected]> reported problems when trying
to update to the new Stata 13.1.

Alfonso wrote:
> I am having trouble installing this update. I am using Stata SE 13 for
> Mac in Mac OS X v. 10.9, i.e. Mavericks. The message I get when I type
> update all, and after I confirm that it is OK to close Stata is:
>
>  cannot write in directory /Applications/Stata/.tmp

He later found that this was a permission issue and resolved it on his own:

    http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-10/msg01063.html

We believe that the above situation arises when Stata is installed on
a Mac as one user, and then a different user tries to update it.

Dimitriy wrote:
> I am also having Mac update issues with Mountain Lion:
>
> . update all
> (contacting http://www.stata.com)
>
> Update status
>     Last check for updates:  30 Oct 2013
>     New update available:    none         (as of 30 Oct 2013)
>     Current update level:    07 Oct 2013  (what's new)
>
> Possible actions
>
>     Do nothing; all files are up to date.
>
> . update all, force
> (contacting http://www.stata.com)
>
> downloading executable files ...      complete
> downloading utility files ...         complete
> downloading documentation files ...   complete
> downloading ado files ...             file
> http://www.stata.com/updates8/ado/contents not found
> server says file temporarily redirected to http://www.stata.com/error/404.html
> r(601);

In Dimitriy's case, it appears that he is behind a proxy server
which is caching the old contents of the file on www.stata.com which
contains the date of the latest update.  Notice in the output he reported:

   Update status
       Last check for updates:  30 Oct 2013
       New update available:    none         (as of 30 Oct 2013)
       Current update level:    07 Oct 2013  (what's new)

The proxy server he is behind is tricking Stata into thinking that
the latest available update is dated 07 Oct 2013.  Dimitriy tries to
force an update, but because his Stata has been led to believe that
the latest update is from 07 Oct 2013, Stata tries to download a file
that should be there for an update corresponding to that date. Since
that update has been superceded with the one released today, the files
for the previous update no longer exist.

Dimitriy's Stata is unchanged and unharmed, and if he waits a day or so,
the proxy server will hopefully stop caching the old version of the
date file and will allow him to update.  Or, Dimitriy can update
manually by visiting

   http://www.stata.com/support/updates/

-James Hassell