Re: st: Stata + unix shell + AppleScript = Happy, productive geek

Subject   Re: st: Stata + unix shell + AppleScript = Happy, productive geek
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:20:12 -0400

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Glenn Hoetker <[email protected]> wrote:

"....Basically, it looks for lines that include "local" in them..."

Glenn,

1. note that locals can be defined (among other things):

- from Mata's st_local()
- from a similar plugin function SF_macro_save;
- using c_local   http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-12/msg00385.html;
- as a result of Stata's tokenize/syntax/args/other similar commands;
- as a result of indirect referencing, which would not be possible to
resolve at design-time;

My understanding is that your script will not catch any of those locals.

2. So you are saying that one program can 'peek' into the memory of
another in Apple? How secure is that?
Specifically it reminds me:
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/29019/are-passwords-stored-in-memory-safe
Wouldn't you need at least admin/debug rights to do that?

3. I would be quite interested in fact in the 'watch' window in Stata,
which would display the values of locals/globals at runtime. A
comprehensive solution would, imho, pull them out right from the
Stata's memory (locals a_test and b_test, each is 4 chars long+zero
terminator):

    addr  typ/usb  user     len  pos              name
06504c28 5179/ -1     5       5    0              _b_test
06504ca8 5179/ -1     5       5    0              _a_test

Unfortunately, Stata does not expose this functionality in a way
convenient for consuming it programmatically neither through the
undocumented command above, nor through -macro dir-. The problem is
not of displaying the content - that is very well manageable given the
current functionality, but rather getting called after each line that
Stata executes to refresh the content.

Anyhow, don't stop at just locals. I see same utility in tracking the
use of globals, matrices, tempfiles, and file handles.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin