Re: st: Dividing data into quintiles

Subject   Re: st: Dividing data into quintiles
Date   Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:02:49 -0400

Clarice,
1) if you need only observations of type "formation" (and in your
description it seems like this holds) then drop everything else to
simplify things.
2) In the example data, you have constant returns 0.01 no matter what,
I hope it is not in your real data, otherwise no quintiles, and also
the group is extremely small - 3 obs only.
3) In your example all formations occur in one month, so not possible
to test any code without actually creating a completely new example
specifically for this.

Something like this would get you started:
do http://radyakin.org/statalist/2013102801/formation.do

but, please post the example that exhibits exactly all the features
that one would be looking forwards too - if you say you have 151
periods of formation - make sure you post at least 2, better more, if
there is irrelevant information - drop it right away not to confuse.
Often times rather than anonymizing your data it is simpler to rename
variables in nlsw88.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin