st: Analysis on subset of Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data

From   french Smith <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Analysis on subset of Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data
Date   Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:53:35 -0400

Dear STATA crowd,

I wish to analyze the Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) data on
children under five.

I have set up my analysis as follows, using at Tanzania DHS 2010 as a
starting point. But I have two questions:

1. Why do I have 8,023 cases not the 8,081 that the report (the report
and dataset are available at
http://www.measuredhs.com/what-we-do/survey/survey-display-345.cfm)
says exit?

2. How do I restrict the analysis to V465, which was a question asked
only of respondents with a youngest child under five living with them?

Maybe questions, sorry, but my STATA mind needs jogging!

Thanks!

French

set mem 450m

set matsize 800

use TZKR62DT/TZKR62FL.DTA

*v022 is sample stratum number

gen stratid = v022

*v021 is PSU

gen psu = v021

*v005 is sample weight

gen weight = v005/1000000

svyset psu [pw=weight], strata(stratid)

*Just to compare totals. Should get 8,081 for Tanzania DHS 2010 not 8,023!

tab stratid

*keep if complete response

keep if v015==1

*keep if child lives with respondent. But this command isn’t recognized!

keep if B9==0