st: Time and variable space needed for multiple imputation

From   "Hussein, Mustafa (Mustafa Hussien)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Time and variable space needed for multiple imputation
Date   Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:25:29 +0000

Dear statalisters,

I am running a multiple imputation using chained equations for about 18 variables with missing data, by race/ethnicity (3 racial/ethnic groups), and over 20 imputation datasets. I am using Stata 13 IC.

I was wondering if there is a way to find out 1) how long it is going to take Stata to get this job done and 2) how much room for more variables is needed. In other words, how many more variables would imputation add to my dataset before I reach my Stata IC limit for the number of variables (currently 2,047). Stata has been running for the last 16 hours and the total number of variables in my dataset has increased from 1,147 before I started the procedure to 2,044 now! Is there an explanation why this imputation is adding nearly a thousand variables to my dataset?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mustafa