Re: st: mi impute, conditional()

From   A Loumiotis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mi impute, conditional()
Date   Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:15:27 +0300

I think there are two cases to consider here and your question
concerns case 2 although the specific code you provided is more
relevant with case 1.

Case 1: Restriction on a complete variable

In this case, an equation specific -if- restriction should be used and
not an equation specific -conditional()- option.  In addition, the
conditional variable being imputed does not need to be constant
outside of the conditional restriction.  So for the example that you
provided you could use the -if- restriction instead and there will be
no problems with price being not constant outside the conditioned
sample.  You might though need to use the -force- option if the
variable price has missing values outside the conditioned sample and
variable price is used as a covariate in other prediction equations.

Case 2: Restriction on an incomplete variable

Here we need to use an equation specific -conditional()- option since
the restrictions are defined in terms of variables that are itself
missing.  Also the missing values of the conditioning variables should
be nested within the missing values of the conditional variable being
imputed.  Imputation of missing values of the conditional variable
occurs only if the restriction is satisfied based on non-missing
values or imputed values of the conditioning variables.  The question
I think you are posing is what to do with the missing values of the
conditional variable whenever the conditioning variables are imputed
in such a way that the restriction is not satisfied.  Since -mi- works
only if the conditional variable takes a constant value outside of the
restriction then -mi- imputes these values to that constant.

What are the alternatives? Suppose we make -mi, conditional()- work
even if the conditional variable is not constant outside the
restriction.  But how would we want -mi- to handle the missing values
of the conditional variable whenever the conditioning variables are
imputed in such a way that the restriction is not satisfied?  I see
two alternatives: a. keep them missing, b. impute them. If we do
decide to impute them why would we need the condition in the first
place?

Sometimes what we really want is not to use a conditional prediction
equation but a prediction equation that the range of imputed values
are different for different conditions.  This is possible when using
-intreg- as the imputation method.  It would be convenient if it
becomes possible for a prediction of a nominal variable especially in
the case of the imputation of panel data surveys.  This would be
helpful to solve some of the issues discussed in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-10/msg00062.html

Antonis