Re: st: Time complexity of -scobit-

Subject   Re: st: Time complexity of -scobit-
Date   Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:46:29 -0500

I estimated the computational complexity for my confirmatory factor
analysis module, -confa-, see
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0169. I also found
computing time to be roughly linear in N, and of power 2.4 in model
complexity (as expected -- this is the exponent on the fastest
available matrix inversion algorithm). For complicated likelihoods,
convergence is slower in smaller samples as the likelihood surfaces
are just more weird, with non-concave regions and such.

Hint: -help timer-.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name