Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?

From   Dirk Enzmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?
Date   Sat, 19 Oct 2013 10:06:01 +0200

The conversion problem will most likely not affect people having access to Stata *and* to SPSS and using their data for themselves, only.

But: There are people living is poorer countries / working at poorer equipped institutions / having less resources so that they have to use the software available. These people can't choose as easily to buy StatTransfer or to buy a Stata license. But very often these people still have access to SPSS (of course, you can ask what drives their poor institution to buy the much more expensive SPSS package, but this is a different point).

With SPSS, however, you can only import Stata 8/9 (format 113) and 10/11 (format 114) files, but not newer. Imagine there are persons who would like to use Stata and who (for good reasons) decide to buy the newest version of Stata (and not SPSS): If they represent a minority in a research project co-operating with many researchers using SPSS (some for the above mentioned reason), they will feel a strong pressure to decide against Stata because -saveold- of Stata 13 saves files (format 117) only in Stata 12 (format 115), thus they have to buy StatTransfer additionally, otherwise their co-operation will stop. If they had the possibility to save Stata 13 files from within Stata in a format which can be read by SPSS (format 114 would be sufficient), they had much better arguments to buy Stata 13.

This is not a theoretical possibility only, I know colleagues having exactly this problem.

Dirk

Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:19:51 +0100, Nick Cox<[email protected]> wrote

Not to knock SPSS, although for many that qualifies as an acceptable
sport, but what drives people to use SPSS if they also have access to
Stata?

I am not trying to be ironic here. It is (literally) decades, i.e.
sometime last century I think, since I last used SPSS, so I am quite
out of touch on its relative strengths.

Please take as understood that some users prefer its user interface.

Dr. Dirk Enzmann
Institute of Criminal Sciences
Dept. of Criminology
Rothenbaumchaussee 33