Re: st: Change string to year and month date

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Change string to year and month date
Date   Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:31:08 +0100

-help dates and times- documents that -date()- generates daily dates
and _only_ daily dates.  The name is a historical hangover from a time
when daily dates were the only dates supported by Stata. There is a
synonym -daily()- that works, which in my view should be more
prominent in the documentation.

Imagine that you are Stata. What would you do given the information
you supplied? Without an explicit day of the month, day 1 being
imputed is a reasonable default.

You have monthly dates and should use -monthly()- to translate from
string to numeric.