st: R: Imputation vs substitution with mean

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Imputation vs substitution with mean
Date   Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:12:04 +0200

Dear James,
sample mean substitution is a very ill-advised approach (even if you have
few missing values).
In the best case, replacing missing values with the mean of the existing
observation will reduce the variance, making all the subsequent statistics
biased.
Also last observation carried forward (LOCF) belongs to the "don't do it"
group.

You can find wide coverage of this topic in:

- Roderick J. A. Little, Donald B. Rubin. Statistical Analysis with Missing
Data, 2nd Edition. Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics, 2002.
- John W. Graham. Missing Data: Analysis and Design. Springer, 2012.

There are other textbooks on dealing with missing data; a Google search can
give you a comprehensive picture of what has been published so far.

Multiple imputation is the way to go; I would point you to -[MI] intro
substantive - in Stata .pdf manual (as usual, a very good first step).

I do hope this helps.

Best regards,
Carlo