st: RE: Minimum number of observations per cluster for clustered standard errors in IV?

Subject   st: RE: Minimum number of observations per cluster for clustered standard errors in IV?
Date   Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:23:38 +0000

JZ,

My understanding from Austin's work (BTW, you cite a 2007 paper by him - the Statalist FAQ asks you to provide a full reference in such cases) is that problems arise with unbalanced clusters (=some clusters have few obs, some have lots), not small clusters (=clusters with few obs) per se.

The easy way to see that small clusters per se are not necessarily a problem is by noting that the classic Eicker-Huber-White-sandwich-heteroskedasticity-robust covariance estimator is just a special case of the cluster-robust covariance estimator with 1 observation per cluster.

--Mark

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.