st: RE: Use of Stata project manager to make backing up and sharing more efficient

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Use of Stata project manager to make backing up and sharing more efficient
Date   Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:32:49 +0000

Stephen,

The PDF documentation for Project Manager is pretty clear that a project just contains links to files, not the actual files themselves.  From page 3: "A file in the Project Manager is a reference to a file on disk."

This is actually pretty consistent with the "Project" concept in other applications such as Adobe InDesign, Windows Movie Maker, and iMovie, where the project is just a map with links to files.  If the files are moved (or, as in your case, if the project file is moved to another system) then the links are broken and the project file is no good any more.

Regards,
Joe Canner
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stephen Cranney
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Use of Stata project manager to make backing up and sharing more efficient

I'm trying to use the new Stata project function to more efficiently back up and share my work without having to drag individual files around. The manual wasn't terribly clear and I thought that, for example, I could just drop my Stata project file into a Dropbox folder to share it with my collaborators, but that doesn't appear to be working. So the Stata project manager doesn't somehow internalize the data and do files into one file that I can throw around, correct? I still have to individually drop files into clouds or backups? I was excited about the new project manager function because it seemed to imply that I wouldn't have to do that anymore.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

--
Stephen Cranney