st: RE: calculation of area under curve with Stata

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: calculation of area under curve with Stata
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:57:56 +0000

To avoid further confusion, can I explain that the term "area under the curve"
Has two completely different meanings in biostatistics.

The first is the area under a dose concentration curve;
 or any other measurement taken repeatedly over time.
It is mainly used in pharmacokinetics, and it is clearly that which
Elmir Omerovic is interested in.  The -pk- suite of commands are
designed to handle this:
    The pk commands are

        pkexamine        Calculate pharmacokinetic measures
        pksumm           Summarize pharmacokinetic data
        pkshape          Reshape (pharmacokinetic) Latin-square data
        pkcross          Analyze crossover experiments
        pkequiv          Perform bioequivalence tests
        pkcollapse       Generate pharmacokinetic measurement dataset

The second is the area under a ROC curve.
It is used as a convenient non-parametric measure of the performance of a
Diagnostic  or predictive test.  Appropriate commands include
-lroc-, which Joe Canner referred to,  -roctab- roccomp- and -rocgold-.

To avoid confusion with the other AUC, it is sometimes referred to as AUROC;
or as a' (a-prime), or as the c-statistic.  Although the last invites confusion
with Harrell's C, which is another story .

ROC, by the way, stands for  receiver operating characteristic; and the
term originates in signal detection theory.

Best wishes,

Paul T Seed, Women's Health, KCL