Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?
Date   Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:50:33 +0100

As I understand it, Strategy 2 is doomed in a strict sense. -saveold-
will not take you that far back and there is no -saveveryold- or
equivalent that you want.

Strategy 1 is to a degree programmable, but you need a really good
understanding of Stata and Mata programming. In generality, you have
to decide what to do with long strings, etc., etc. and to document
that. Pessimistically, Stata 13 datasets will _not_ all fit in Stata 9
and there's no fudging that fact.

But what's the context here? One might guess that locally some people
have access to Stata 13 and some just Stata 9, so you want to heave
datasets back and forth, and 9 to 13 is easy and 13 to 9 the problem.
I guess I would just start with something like -outsheet- or -export
excel-  as intermediary as something a lot simpler than writing a new
program. Also, what's so magic about 9 as compared with anything else
not reachable by -saveold-?

For completeness I have to add that -save9- was discussed in earlier
postings on the list by Joerg Luedicke and myself.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-04/msg00654.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-10/msg00928.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-10/msg01158.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-10/msg01253.html

At that time I was left puzzled about the claims on its behalf, and I
guess that would still be true. I think Joerg felt the same.