Re: st: Time-dependent variables and the simon & makuch method

Subject   Re: st: Time-dependent variables and the simon & makuch method
Date   Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:44:43 -0400

• When you joined Statalist, you were asked to read the list FAQ. Section
3.4, asks for full references and gives the reasons. "Mantel-Byar",
 "Simon & Makuch", and "recent reviews" do not qualify.

Below I give the Mantel-Byar and Simon-Makuch references, with a
pertinent review by Anderson et al. (1983).

To answer your questions:

• When data with time-varying covariates are properly -stset- as
multiple-record data with the id() option, the log rank test in Stata
*is* the Mantel-Byar test.

• Replacement for KM plot

In a reply to Nichole Boyle
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-09/msg00408.html), I
suggested a "future" conditional incidence function" for a binary
time-dependent variable, and said I didn't know a reference. I do now.
 Anderson and colleagues published a version in 1983 and called it
the "landmark method". They also criticized the use of the log rank test
and advocated the use of the Mantel-Byar test.

I don't have the Simon and Makuch reference, but here's a plot that
gives a reasonable result in the Stanford heart transplant data (webuse
stan3). It utilizes time-varying strata in the Cox model. The curve is
akin to a synthetic life table in demography (e.g. Arias, 2010), in which
current age-specific death rates are used to construct a life table. In
this case, waiting time to transplant plays the role of age. The table
has predictive value only if patients transplanted at _t and those
transplanted earlier have similar risks of death for subsequent times.
I'd expect dissimilar short term future risks, if only because of postoperative
mortality.

***********CODE BEGINS*****************
webuse stan3, clear
stset t1, fail(died) id(id)
sts test posttran, logrank  // Mantel-Byar
stcox posttran  // p-values should be close to above

/* -stcox- to get stratum-specific KM curves */
gen dummy=1
stcox dummy, strata(posttran)
predict surv, basesurv
separate surv, by(posttran)

twoway connect surv0 surv1 _t, sort  lp(dash solid)