Re: st: Meta-Analysis of Proportions

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Meta-Analysis of Proportions
Date   Fri, 11 Oct 2013 07:28:05 -0400

Hi, Jonviea.

At the moment I can offer only some brief comments.

If you are considering a random-effects analysis, be sure to avoid the
DerSimonian-Laird procedure, whose problems of lower than nominal
coverage and potential bias have been described in the literature.

One can avoid those difficulties by using a Bayesian approach, but I
don't know whether anyone has implemented it in Stata.

One useful book, not well enough known, is Kulinskaya et al. (2008).

David Hoaglin

Kulinskaya E, Morgenthaler S, Staudte RG (2008). Meta Analysis.  John
Wiley & Sons, Ltd.