st: avar question (was: new on ssc - avar)

Subject   st: avar question (was: new on ssc - avar)
Date   Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:11:33 +0000

Dear Statalisters:

Last month, Kit Baum and I made available a new Stata package, -avar-, and announced it on Statalist in the usual way (see below).

As you can see from the description, -avar- is basically a utility.  If you wanted to roll your own sandwich variance-covariance estimator, -avar- would be a convenient program for generating different sandwich fillings (robust, HAC, 2-way clustering, etc.).

To our surprise, in September, the first month up on SSC, -avar- was downloaded almost 3 thousand times (!), putting it at number 5 in the monthly list of top packages:

> Top 25 packages at SSC
>
>         Sep 2013
>   Rank   # hits    Package       Author(s)
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>      5   2840.0    avar          Christopher F Baum, Mark E Schaffer

and we can't work out why.

Are there that many people out there who are rolling their own VCEs?  Is -avar- a useful teaching tool?  Did the description lead people to conclude (mistakenly) that -avar- would do all the work in generating a robust VCE of their choice?

Would be helpful to know where this unexpected demand is coming from - could influence how we and others think about what are useful Stata programs to develop in the future.

Kit & Mark

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.