RE: st: RE: Merge problem

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Merge problem
Date   Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:27:05 +0000

Hmmm....I had that originally and took it out because I thought it was redundant.  Anyway, glad it works!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Erik Aadland
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 10:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: Merge problem

Thanks Joe!

I tweaked your code a little bit, and now it works like a charm.

gen period_id=.
expand 2 if year==1
bys agency_id year: replace period_id=_n if year==1
expand 2 if year==2 ;
bys agency_id year: replace period_id=2+_n if year==2

As you can see, I added "year" in the bysort command.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Erik.

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: st: RE: Merge problem
> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:10:54 +0000
>
> I was going to suggest something like this (since I didn't have the time or brain power to suggest something more elegant). Based on your clarification I would have said something like this:
>
> gen period_id=.
> expand 7 if year==1
> bys firm_id: replace period_id=_n if year==1
> expand 8 if year==2
> bys firm_id: replace period_id=8+_n if year==2
> etc.
>
> Since you only have 8 years, the brute force method is probably not bad. If you want to have the numbering for each year pick up from the previous year without having to specify the offset each time, that could probably be done, but perhaps someone else can think of it more readily than I can at the moment.

>>> 2003 2
>>> 2003 3
>>> 2003 4
>>> 2004 1