Re: st: Not sure how to interpret -somersd- results

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Not sure how to interpret -somersd- results
Date   Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:57:51 +0100

Hello Monica

Yes, we can say that 2006 child height z-scores stochastically dominate 1996 child height z-scores, as both 95% confidence limits for Somers' D are above zero.

Your confidence intervals would probably be even better if you used the options

transf(z) tdist

for your -somersd- command, as you would then have asymmetric 95% confidence limits using the t-distribution, instead of symmetric confidence limits using the Normal distribution. These alternative confidence limits would be better, because Somers' D cannot really have a perfectly symmetric sampling distribution when a population association exists, and because I have found, from simulation studies, that the t-distribution gives confidence limits with a coverage probability closer to the advertized level than the Normal distribution. This is probably important if you have only 4 clusters.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics