Re: st: Difference in Difference vs. Fixed Effects

From   Joerg Lang <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Difference in Difference vs. Fixed Effects
Date   Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:43:00 +0200

Dear David,

thanks for your response and the reference.

The assignement was not randomized. Rather the households could self
select themselves in the treatment which is in my case solar panels.
Note that my data is on household level.
I don't think that the binary structure of the outcome variable, which
is an index calculated from 7 variables, is a severe problem. I
applied a logit and a probit estimation and the result are similar. As
well, I predicted the values of the above given -reg command and they
are all bounded between 0 and 1.

I have already looked into some books, especially with fixed effects.
What has to be noted, though, is that the first model above, as it is
specified, rather is a pooled model and the other one a fixed effects
model. Thus, from a theoretic point of view, the difference could be
attributed to an unobserved individual heterogeneity. At least, this
is what I thought. However, I have not found any book that makes this
clear. Rather, all of the ones I looked into simply state that the
result should be the same if one period only is observed. If there is
anyone here that could help me that would be very much appreciated. Is
there anything wrong with my Stata command? Or, if not, what do I then
overlook?
Thanks,
Joerg