Re: st: Different result of Technical Efficiency with Frontier 4.1 and Stata

From   Federico Belotti <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Different result of Technical Efficiency with Frontier 4.1 and Stata
Date   Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:05:25 +0200

Vikash Vaibhav <[email protected]> found dramatically different results comparing Stata with Tim Coelli's Frontier 4.1.

First, I would like to ask to Vikash which Stata command has been used for the estimation.

Second, in my experience the two softwares give exactly the same results. I compared the user-written command -sfpanel- (from SSC) and FRONTIER 4.1 for the Battese and Coelli (1995) model using a simulated dataset that can be downloaded at

http://www.econometrics.it/data/FRONTIER41vsSFPANEL.zip

Data has been simulated from the following normal - truncated normal production model

y_it = 1 + 0.3 x1_it + 0.7 x2_it - u_it + v_it

where u_it is truncated normal with mean

mu_it = 1 + 0.5 zmu_it

and unit variance and v_it is normal with mean 0 and variance = 0.25.

To run the estimation in Stata you can use the data file "simd-dta.dta" and the do file "check.do".
To run FRONTIER 4.1 you can use the "dta.txt" and "ins.txt" files.

I didn't find appreciable differences, considering also that the two log-likelihoods (the -sfpanel- and FRONTIER 4.1 ones) are differently parametrized. So, I'm wondering if you have some problems in variables and/or instruction file definition.

On the other hand, I found appreciable differences using real data but only when the data has been transformed using, for instance, the log_var = log(var+0.1) trick to get rid of the log-zero problem. Usually this kind of tricks creates huge disproportions in the data which can be handled differently by the optimization engine of different software. A useful discussion on this issue can be found at

http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/30728/how-small-a-quantity-should-be-added-to-x-to-avoid-taking-the-log-of-zero

Hope this helps,
Federico