Re: st: ODBC connection strings

From   [email protected] (Kevin H. Crow, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ODBC connection strings
Date   Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:33:44 -0500

Janet Hill <[email protected]> wrote:

>When I connect Stata to Access database I typically use statements of the form:
>
>odbc query "MS Access Database;DBQ=C:\Julie\Data September 2013.accdb;"
>
>or
>
>local dsn MS Access Database;DBQ=Data September 2013.accdb;DefaultDir=C:\Julie\;
>odbc load, table("Demographics") dsn("`dsn'") clear allstring
>
>Recently my database administrator has told me that this approach is 'obsolete'
>and that I should use connection strings. I have read Kevin Crow's article in
>the Stata blog
>http://blog.stata.com/2010/11/10/connection-string-support-added-to-odbc-command/
>and I have two questions:

In your case there is no advantage to using the -connectionstring()- option.
You don't really need to use the -connetionstring()- option for most -odbc-
commands because -odbc- builds the connection string for you.  It is not
"obsolete" to use Stata's -odbc- command in the way you are using it.

There are certain cases where a user may want to use certain options/features
of a driver for a connection which are not available through the -odbc-
command's other options, and this is where you use the -connectstring()-
option.

An example of the -connectionstring()- option would be

. odbc query, connectionstring(`"Driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)
> ;DBQ=C:\Users\khc\Documents\Northwind.accdb"')

DataSource: ConnectionString
Path      : C:\Users\khc\Documents\Northwind.accdb
Customers
Employee Privileges
Employees
Inventory Transaction Types