Re: st: RE: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP

Subject   Re: st: RE: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP
Date   Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:10:55 -0500

You would want to break this into as many single process threads as
you can simply for stability purposes: if for whatever reason a thread
crashes, you will lose a few dozen hours in a single thread-high MP
mode, but you will only lose single digit hours in many Stata SE
instances mode. You will hardly see much speed gain from MP with your
tiny data, and most of your computing time is going to be spent on
-post-ing your results -- i.e., the CPU waiting for the hard drive.
This is not a Stata task, this is an OS task, and you can keep other
cores busy with running your -xtreg- in another instance of Stata.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name